Monday, July 6, 2015

Review: Fatal Reservations by Lucy Burdette (Key West Food Critic Mystery #6)

Fatal Reservations (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #6) 

I received an advanced review copy of this book via a really cool Facebook group called Cozy Mystery Review Crew.  If you enjoy cozy mysteries and would like the opportunity to be a reviewer, I'd definitely suggest joining! There are a good number of books that have been distributed to reviewers already with more to come. You don't have to have a blog or anything either, just posting a review to Goodreads, B&N, or Amazon will fulfill your agreement :) 

Fatal Reservations is the 6th book in the Key West Food Critic Mysteries. I admit I have not read any of the previous books in this series, although I'd really like to. This book can function as a stand-alone mystery, although I did feel like I was probably missing some small details about the characters by having not read any of the previous books. I did not feel that there was anything major missing and it didn't inhibit my enjoyment of this book in any way though. 

Haley Snow is the main character and food critic and she lives in Key West, FL. I've never been there (and it'd probably be way too hot for me) but from the descriptions in this book it sounds like an amazing place! Haley's roommate is Miss Gloria, who is an older woman but is still very feisty and humorous. I absolutely love Miss Gloria and her relationship and the dynamic between her and Haley. I generally do not like massive amounts of detail, but I feel like this book struck a good balance of providing enough detail to make you really feel like you are in the story, while not going too overboard with it. I did feel that the beginning was a bit slow and it took me about 40 pages to really get into it. A little longer than I'd like but within reason considering how many characters were introduced in that time. 

There are some really great characters in this book, as well as plenty of mouth-watering descriptions of all kinds of food! I was very pleased to discover that there are recipes included in the back of the book :) Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I'd say it's a perfect read if you're looking to escape reality for a while and fully immerse yourself into the book, its scenery, and its characters. Just looking at the beautiful sunrise on the cover makes me feel relaxed. I give this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars and would absolutely recommend it! 

Fatal Reservations goes on sale tomorrow, July 7th, and you can pre-order it today for $5.45. If you'd like to learn more about Lucy Burdette and/or her books, you can visit her website or her Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment