Friday, July 10, 2015

Review: Taking Leaps and Finding Ghosts by Janet DeLee



Books like this are one of the main reasons I started this blog. It amazes me the number of blogs that don't accept requests from self-published authors. In doing so, they miss out on rare gems such as this! Taking Leaps and Finding Ghosts isn't a cozy exactly, although it is a really light, relaxing read. It does have mystery, but it's also really inspirational and motivational. Although it ultimately is a ghost story, it's not done in a scary or horror-like way. There are parts that might give you goosebumps, but I wouldn't call it scary. Plus, the mystery is solved in a very heart-warming, emotional way. I don't want to give away too much so it's hard to go too in depth without revealing any spoilers ;)

I probably would put this book more in the women's fiction or inspirational genre versus the mystery category, but I really enjoyed it regardless. This was one of those books that got me hooked from the start and I had trouble putting it down. The story is told from different character's points of view for different chapters. That particular writing style doesn't always work, but in this book it works well. It really provides an in-depth view of the characters and their different personalities.

Ginny Lawther starts a group for people that have a goal they'd like to attain. Hilda, Lydia, Jerry, and Lee become members of the group. The five of them discuss what goals they are all working towards, and help motivate each other and keep each other on track to attain their goal. There are multiple goals in my life that I'd like to attain and some of the exercises the characters did in the book I think I'll try for myself.

My only criticism would be that I would have loved to have more focus on the mystery and have more mystery or suspense elements throughout the book instead of the majority of the mystery being concentrated towards the end.

There were two minor typos that I caught (one said off where it should have said of) but overall it was edited very well. Other than that, it was a great read and I'd love to see these characters again in other books! I'd give this book a 4.5 out of 5 and would definitely recommend it!

Taking Leaps and Finding Ghosts is available on Amazon in both Kindle and paperback. If you'd like to learn more about Janet DeLee and/or her books, you can check out her Goodreads and her Amazon Author page.

No comments:

Post a Comment